Friday, October 8, 2010

Pasta & Family



Tonight was "Pasta Night"!!!! Apparently, several years ago (before I came into the picture) the Patriarch and Matriarch (Grandpa & Grandma) of the Rodgers family had a Thursday night tradition...Thursday night was pasta night. Well...when Crystal told me the tale of this Italian lovers dream, she advocated to restore this family tradition . As I'm getting ready for the festive family dinner, I was considering what to wear. I decided to go with a loose pair of jeans, so I could be comfortable when all the pasta decided to expand in my belly. Makes sense, right? RIGHT! Let's just say, thank goodness I did cause I still can't take a deep breath!

Bryan left for a salmon fishing trip tonight so he couldn't come to the pasta dinner. So, I hitched a ride with my dear mom-in-law and we rode to Gma and Gpa Rodgers together - in the T-Bird with the windows down and the country music playing in the background. I am very fortunate to have such an amazing "second family" up here in Lancaster. It was a difficult transition for me when I moved from Dallas, Texas up North. So many changes were occurring in my life at the same time...I got married, left the south, left my family, moved to PA and started a new job...all within 2 months time. It was a BIG transition. Thankfully, I have Bryan; he is so supportive/understanding and also my very best friend. And I have an amazing second family within the "Rodgers clan". They have helped alleviate my homesickness and loved me as one of their own.

It was a fun-filled night of eating, eating, eating, and being together!
Hopefully pasta night is a tradition that we will continue! The time spent together enriches my soul and fulfills my need for family bonding, closeness and love. The following verse comes to my mind: "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things" (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).


When different personalities come together, whether family, friends, coworkers or other relationships, we should strive to show selfless LOVE to them. Even though we have different personalities, we are each fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14). As I re-read that verse, I am challenged! Cause I need to work on selfless love; I get irritable, I'm rude sometimes...and I definitely could use more patience. Let's not forget the love that was already shown for us...the love that knows no bounds...the love that forgives all wrong...the love that redeems us...the love that died for us.

With love, Stefanie

The Rodgers Family celebrating Margie's 50th Birthday

3 comments:

  1. wow this blog is amazing, almost mini-sermonettes, what an encouragement. Pasta night was such a treat, so glad you had off to be with us this week. love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope to see you next week!
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Rodgers family and the way they have embraced our family! Pasta night - what a great tradition! The fabric of close family and great memories is an outcome of traditions like this! Miss you, Rodgers family! Can't wait to see you at Christmas! Love love, Mom

    ReplyDelete